8 Ways to Declutter your Mind and Spring into Summer
We are one month away from summer, have you done your mental spring cleaning? Decluttering your mind is just as important as decluttering your home. In a way, they actually play into each other and we will talk more about it later on in this post as we discuss 8 ways to declutter your mind.
How has your year been? My year has been going as I would have liked it to, so far but there is always room for improvement. There are things and thoughts that I would like to eliminate from my life and so I began pondering ways to spring clean my mind.
In this article, I will discuss 8 ways to declutter your mind and get you ready for a new season in your life.
In compiling this list, I came up with 4 categories that I find important. These categories are:
- Environment and
A way to remember this is aret, which means to impute, to fault to or on someone. Let’s fault mental clutter on those four things as we get into the list.
8 Ways to Declutter your Mind and Spring into Summer.
Actions – These are things you do that cause your mind to be cluttered. Doing different actions will declutter your mind. Here are some actions that you should employ.
- 1. Change your daily morning routine or Set one if you don’t have.
- Having a daily routine takes the pressure off. It allows you to do and not think which gives you a mental break and allows you to get things done. I just started a daily routine and so far, I am loving it. My life truly has improved.
- 2. Get Active.
- You hear this all the time, I know. You are hearing it all the time because it’s extremely important and beneficial. Getting active will also give you a mental break and make you feel good. You don’t have to exercise or be in a gym to be active, you can simply walk more. Being at home all day, I didn’t use to be active unless I was at the gym but then I started taking daily walks outside and around the house, working my way up to 10, 000 steps. This has helped me to just take a mental pause and just do. For 10 minutes my mind is just free and in the moment enjoying the scenery or picking things up around the house unconsciously.
- 3. Create a safe space.
- A safe space is somewhere that you can let it all out. A lot of the times, our mind is clutter with pending decision or regrets or just confusion, whatever it is, sometimes you need to LET IT OUT. A safe space can be a diary, a friend, the wall or god. Whenever you feel overwhelmed with thoughts, practice pouring it all out, knowing you won’t be judged or looked at in a way that makes you want to keep things in. You are in a safe space, where all feelings and thoughts are welcomed.
- 4. Start Asking Questions.
- Asking questions is not only a good way of finding things out but it is a good way to declutter your mind or prevent a cluttered mind. What is the point of creating scenarios in your head, playing a guessing game trying to figure out what someone meant? That only serves to clutter your mind. As adults, we cannot continue to pretend we know what someone intended from their actions. The only way to know is to ask. Why did you do that? Did you consider my feelings? Doing this will take away the ” I wonder why she did that? Was she trying to hurt my feelings? Having the answer will get you to accepting and moving on even faster.
- 5. Try single-tasking
- With the fast pace way of the world currently, it is easy to feel that you must multitask. Multitasking may be a good way of getting things done but it is also a way to create excess thoughts and stress. If you do one thing at a time then you are able to focus completely on that one thing and get it done.
Relationships -These are connections you have that may be causing your mind to be cluttered. Sometimes the nature of relationships are no longer healthy and determining that will help you to declutter your mind.
- 6. Evaluate your relationships
- What is the current state of this relationship and how are all parties benefiting? Think about how you are being impacted by this relationship. Are you spending many moons thinking about things of the past, that you or the person did? Why haven’t you worked past those things and forgiven each other? Answering those questions will help you to determine the next phase of the relationship. If it cannot be sustained then consider moving on. Free your mind from burdensome thoughts, especially if you have done all you could. If you can fix things, then do so. Its time for a new season so embrace the change to healthier relationships.
Download for Free: A Guide to Creating Healthier Relationships.
Thoughts – These are basically “the clutter” it’s mentioned separately to highlight the importance. Everything listed above is a way of removing some of the common things that will lead to excess thoughts. This next thing to be listed is another way to again limit thoughts.
- 6. Value Solitude and Get More of it
- How much time do you spend with yourself? Take some time with yourself, without music, without your phone, and without a negative thought. Now, you may be like.. Can I just not think? Ha, as much as I would love to not think it seems that as humans thinking is what we do. While you can’t control thinking or not thinking, you can control what you think about. Replace regrets and pending tasks with gratitude and good memories and how beautiful the sun is. Lay, in silence and just be grateful.
Environment- Your environment can contribute to clutter in your mind. Trying creating an environment that fosters positive, clutter-free thoughts.
- 7. Change up your environment
- If you spend a lot of time in your living space then try to make it somewhere that facilitates positive and empowering thoughts. Remove things that you no longer need and add things. Try getting a diffuser or even sage to cleanse your environment. Add quotes that inspire you, add your achievements, add a list of things you are grateful for and other things you see fit.
- 8. Clean your closet and donate to charity or someone in need
- Acts of service will definitely have you feeling grateful and more positive. It will also make a difference in someone else’s life. Get rid of unwanted clothes that pile up on your bedroom chair or on your bed. It will help, I promise.
Summing it up
If you’ve made it this far, I appreciate you. As we welcome a new season, we must also welcome positive change. A big part of that is controlling what you can.
There is a lot that happens in this life but that’s not what’s important, what’s important is how we approach these things. The thoughts and feelings that we have, define how we see life.
A big part of mental clutter is the type of thoughts, foster good thoughts.
How do you deal with mental clutter? Share something to help someone.
I will have to take these tips on board. My mind always feel very cluttered!
I like to declutter my mind from time to time,but I did not think solitude can declutter the mind,thanks will have to try this.
Last week I felt the weather had finally turned warm and I was getting into my “mental spring cleaning” as you call it… then it started raining…again! I had to haul my leggins and mindset our of storage. Amy Aberasturi firstname.lastname@example.org
Aret I like it!! I definitely need to clear my head and refocus and no better time than spring/summer!
Being active and changing your environment work really well for me.
Great tips! It’s so important to keep your mindset decluttered. I believe meditating and journaling helps a lot. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you for sharing those, they are indeed very helpful, I have been trying to get into journaling as my safe space.
Just found you on Twitter! I love your blog and the authenticity of your posts. <3
Thank you so much hun🌼
This is such a great read.Most of the time I feel so lost.I need to implement these tips
You, Me and Benny
these are really great tips!! I feel like this is something I need when it’s getting cold!
The Newbury Girl
I really liked how this declutter was focused on tangible tips for getting your mind right! Too often we put our mental health on the back burner, when we need to take time for ourselves to reset.
woahh great read! also, Just like your closet, your mind needs regular spring cleaning too in order to stay productive and happy!
Great tips. I love the last one. Clean your closet and donate to someone in need. Thanks for sharing
These r very important tips. It is important to let go of all the negative thoughts and emotions that make you feel bogged down. Eliminating unnecessary thoughts, fears and concerns help reduce stress, boost self-esteem and free up mental space.
Michael David Oyco
I practice no. 5. Always always really. Quality over quantity. I lost my groove when I am burdened with a lot.
This is such a great post! I really need to declutter everything – especially my mind.
I’ve been so busy lately that I hardly have time to enjoy ‘my solitude’. My only me-time these days is whenever I’m taking a bath, lol.
I love this post. I am finding that I get increasingly anxious as my mind becomes foggy with the amount of information I have to handle daily. Thanks for a great post!
Such a great read.. So true, we always have to declutter our negative thoughts, it will only ruin us.
Right at this moment I’m having a headache induced by over thinking. This post is just whatvI need.
Fatima Torres at MTME
Evaluating your relationships is a great way to improve on the goals you’ve set out for yourself this year. Thanks for the reminder to look into the people we surround ourselves with.
I’ve been feeling a little stressed lately – I absolutely needed this reminder! Thanks for sharing!
love this topic! every single one of them is such an important guide and it will help me a lot. Thanks so much for sharing
Letting go your negative thoughts is very important for us. I think it is one of the most important contributor for the stress.
Katherine Rose Coronel- Rivera
This is a nice post. I want to declutter things in my mind too. Thanks for sharing what to do and I will follow this.
I love the topic. It’s true that when people clean their place and let go of clutter, they tend to end up decluttering their mind as well and just making things better.
I need to work on single-tasking. I’m always busy working on multiple tasks and then I get so overwhelmed and frustrated. I’m slowly training myself to slow down and complete one thing at a time.
Such a great readm I agree, this is as important as decluttering your house. Having this two things messed up is so stressful. 😊
Definitely saving this to come back to later! State of mind is such an important thing to protect!!
just right in time.. Definitely need this.. need to declutter my mind. thanks for sharing.
Recently, i practised decluttering by giving away stuffs i dont need..You dont know the quantity of your things unless you start cleaning your closet…it really helps cleanse your mind as well as your space…
That’s so good to hear and yeah you really don’t. Thank you for stopping by🌼